Peter Mather Photography
Photography provides me with the excuse to adventure and provides me with an opportunity to tell interesting, important and inspiring stories. I hope that my photography inspires us to be empathetic humans, with compassion for people we don't understand, our natural world and the animals that share this small planet with us.
I am very proud to be a fellow in the International League of Conservation Photographers, to be represented by National Geographic Image Collection and Minden Pictures stock agencies, and to be an ambassador for Panasonic Cameras.
To follow my work, please follow on instagram @matherpeter
- Can Alaskan seabirds adapt to climate change quick enough to survive it?
- Proposed mine threatens the largest bald eagle gathering in the world.
- Wolverines of Alaska's North Slope
- Named one of PDNs 30 Emerging photographers to watch
- Black and White wildlife photography feature
- Outdoor Photography Canada and Photo News magazines
- A recent article profiling my work in Pacific Standard.
- Photo essay on the Porcupine Caribou Herd's epic migration.
- Feature story on the efforts to protect the Yukon's Peel Watershed.
- Photo essay on aerial images of the North.
- Cover Image
- My Shot image of Northern Flickers.
- Feature story on the Yukon Territory.
2018 - Big Picture, First Place for Terrestrial Wildlife
2017 - PHOTO DISTRICT NEWS, PDN's 30 Emerging Photographers for 2017
2017 - Ma Murray Community Newspaper Award, Best Photo Essay
2017 - Big Picture Natural World Photography Competition, Finalist for Terrestrial Wildlife
2017 - Oasis Photo Contest, 1st place in Mammals Category
2016 - National Magazine Awards (Canada), two of six finalist for photo essay of the year.
2016 - Nature's Best, Polar Passion, Highly Honoured
2016 - Oasis Photo Contest, 1st place in three categories (Storyboard, Mammals, Birds)
2016 - Canadian Community Newspaper Award, Best Photo Essay
2016 - Ma Murray Community Newspaper Awards, Gold Photo Essay Award
2015 Wildlife Photographer of the Year - Nominated for top 50 in People's Choice Award
2014 Wildlife Photographer of the Year - 14 of 20 images made it to the final round (No prizes)
2013 Admitted into the iLCP - "International League of Conservation Photography"
2012 Art Wolfe International Conservation Photography Award
Panasonic/Lumix GX8 camera
Panasonic/Lumix GH4 camera (2)
Panasonic/Lumix 12-60mm Lens
Panasonic/Lumix 7-14mm lens (2)
Lumix/Leica 100-400mm lens
Fuji XPro 2 with 18-55mm lens
Nikon D4, D3, D90, D3200 and D700
80 - 200mm f/2.8
14 - 24mm f/2.817 - 35mm f/2.8
Nikon speedlight SB-900
SPL underwater camera housing
Ikelite underwater camera housing for D700Pocket wizards
Singh ray neutral density filters
Trailmaster camera traps
My Photographic Inspiration
The following photographers have defined my work and helped me to discover who I am as an artist and journalist.1. Ken Madsen, my mentor and inspiration. I don't think there is another man in the Yukon who has inspired so many people to get out and adventure, and whose work on protecting wild places has had so much impact.
2. My good friend Robert Postma (Distant Horizons ) who I have shared many adventures with and hopefully many more.
3. The style of photography that appeals to me can be found in these photographers: Keith Ladzinski, Sonny Parker, Jasper Doest, Ronan Donovan, Joe Bishop, and Drew Rush.